Sunday, January 25, 2009

Katie on the Move

Can I count how many times I have helped my Katie move? Probably not.  I know it is more than I can count on both hands. I always wonder if it is something in her genes? Or, is it because we moved so much when she was young?  I don't know if there is an answer to that question. 

Last weekend as the wedding took place, we also were packing up Katie's stuff. I must say I was not much of a help, other than emotional support. Aaron, Ben and Katie packed and moved boxes to the storage area. Then Denise pitched in to help at that point.

Can I also add that when it comes to moving day something always goes notoriously wrong. She had scheduled this date to move a month and a half ago. Low and behold, she went to pick up the truck and was told it was broken down. This led to her "convincing" them to rent her another truck and having to drive and pick the new one up.  They loaded up the truck.  Some things were in the back of my car as they would not fit into the truck. We then had to drive to the shipping company and move it all into a cube.  May I say a cube that was much smaller than the truck. As we began to unload the truck it decided to snow and did it come down. We tried in vain not to let the boxes get too wet.  The day ended with Katie sacrificing her end and coffee table, TV and microwave. 

Trying to shut the door on the cube turned into an even bigger dilemma. After 45 minutes of pushing, pulling and near cursing the door would not shut.  They took a look and decided to call a mechanic. Another 45 minutes until he came. It took him and two other men with crowbars, hammers and muscle to get the thing closed. Now my only worry is when they open it. I can only imagine a jack in the box springing open and things flying all over the place!!!

I guess overall, it was just another move in the life of Katie, experiencing the unexpected and greeting it with laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment