Monday, February 2, 2009

Today I had to say goodbye to my brother. He just retired from his job of 36 years. Tomorrow he will move to South Carolina. Of course they are predicting snow, I just hope it waits till he is out of the snow zone. 
My, how fast the time flies. It seems not that long ago that we were little and he was proving his dominance over me by some torturous method. No we really didn't have that many conflicts. He is five years older and I was his pesky sister who tried to horn in on his play time with the neighborhood kids. He used to try scaring my friend Sandy and I by throwing his green blanket over his head and pretending to be the "green ghost". We would scream and giggle which led to Pop yelling up the stairs at us to calm down and be quiet. As the saying goes, revenge is sweet. The next time he came in the room trying that we pulled off the blanket and saw his blue polka dot boxers!!
We each grew, got married and started having children. Our holidays and birthdays together. Egg hunts, Christmas eve, etc. Many wonderful memories for our children and us. Now I fear those times have ended. Our hair turns gray and we watch our parents fade. It can be sad if we let it. But it can also be wonderful. I think as we age we began to realize that the most important things in life are relationships and begin to treasure those around us. We can anticipate our family growing as the children marry and bring new ones to the family to love. We look forward to any grandchildren that may come. This is the cycle of life and it seems that each day passes a bit more quickly than the last.
So as I think of my brother driving south I must remember those years we have spent together and look forward to when we see each other again.  I fear those times may not be many but may they be full of love and treasured in our hearts. Good bye my only sibling....

No comments:

Post a Comment